Aqua Mummies carries out Aquanatal classes: a fun and relaxing way of keeping active throughout
pregnancy, by making use of low-impact, water based exercises, which at the same time, prepare
the mother’s body for childbirth by improving circulation and gently working out core muscles.
Aqua Mummies is led by Jolene Camilleri, a qualified and practicing midwife who has undergone
specialised training in the UK, to become the First Maltese Aquanatal Instructor. Aqua mummies
involves a unique combination of water fitness and relaxation exercises, where mums-to-be can
meet up and make friends, whilst at the same time work out and prepare their growing bodies for
childbirth and motherhood.
Classes are 60 minutes long and comprise of gentle stretching, followed by muscle toning exercises,
specifically aimed at improving the pregnant woman’s physical and psychological wellbeing.
An expecting mother can join us from the 12th week of pregnancy, up until her due date, or
beyond – if baby is running late!
Pregnancy is a joyous 9 month long journey – leading to the birth of a new bundle of joy. It is a
journey a mother will treasure forever. However, life does not slow down and wait just because you
are pregnant, and thus Aqua Mummies is here to help you incorporate this joyful time into your busy
lifestyle, whilst at the same time helping you prepare for childbirth and motherhood.
Aqua Mummies is run by a midwife who has undergone specialised Aquanatal training accredited by
the Royal College of Midwives; and who will thus be able to guide you during the classes as the
pregnancy advances. This ensures that every exercise practiced in class is appropriate and safe for all
our clients and their babies.
The benefits of Aquanatal exercises are numerous and diverse.
An expecting mother may exercise from 12 weeks of pregnancy up until her due date, or beyond –
if baby is running late!
According to the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists “exercise throughout
pregnancy can reduce the length of labour and decrease delivery complications”.
Physical Benefits of Aquanatal
A Great Work Out: Increased Energy and Stamina
· Increased Resistance – Water provides additional resistance, making exercises challenging,
especially if aqua equipment is used.
· Water acts as Supportive Medium – Ensuring little or no muscle soreness after exercising.
Training in water also reduces the risks of injury.
· Strengthening of Core, Back and Pelvic Muscles – Increasing muscle tone and preventing or
reducing back pain, whilst also reducing risks of postnatal urinary incontinence.
· Increases Flexibility – A valuable quality for childbirth.
Super health Attributes: Improves All Aspects of Health
· Water supports you – It gives you the opportunity to exercise without overheating and
without endangering your body.
· Feeling Weightless – The water’s buoyancy supports your body and promotes a greater
freedom of movement, making it safe for you and the baby.
· Improves Circulation – Boosting blood flow towards your baby.
· Improves Sleep
· Improves Bowel Function
· Less Painfull Legs – Reduces leg and ankle swellings, in addition to reducing the occurrence
of varicose veins.
Prepares You for Birth
· Breathing Exercises – Thought and used during aqua exercises, essentials for childbirth.
· Promotes Psychological Well-being – Greatly reduces the risks of antenatal and postnatal
· Bonding time with your ‘bump’
· Time out, just for you!
· Feeling Free and weightless under water – water is pleasurable and supportive
· Great mental and physical relaxation
· Gives you a chance to meet other mums and make friends
· Fun and laughter
· Exercise and Relaxation leads to the release of the body’s natural endorphins – happy
hormones: suppressing pain and helping you and baby feel calm. Especially helpful in late
· The familiar water sounds will make baby feel relaxed when you eventually take him or her
· Exercise at a pace and level which is specifically adapted to you
· You don’t need to be able to swim! http://www.aquamummies.com