Make Gozo Tourism more sustainable – Eco Tourism
The Definition: Ecotourism is defined as “responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people.” Further details were given during a tourism workshop organised by the Institute of Travel & Tourism – Malta Branch (information).
Principles of Ecotourism: Ecotourism is about uniting conservation, communities, and sustainable travel. This means that those who implement and participate in ecotourism activities should follow the following ecotourism principles:
• Minimize impact
• Build environmental and cultural awareness and respect
• Provide positive experiences for both visitors and hosts
• Provide direct financial benefits for conservation
• Provide financial benefits and empowerment for local people
• Raise sensitivity to host countries’ political, environmental, and social climate.
Niche Markets enhancing the concept of Eco Tourism:
- Social Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Agri Tourism
- Wine Tourism